JUSUN Strike: NBA Akwa Ibom branches to Embark on Peaceful Protest Tomorrow
The Branches of the Nigerian Bar Association, Akwa Ibom state have decried what it termed the lackadaisical attitude exhibited by the state government towards the JUSUN Strike.
In a statement signed by Chairmen of NBA branches on 30th April 2021 and made available to BarristerNG.
Read the full statement below
A PRESS STATEMENT JOINTLY ISSUED BY THE NIGERIAN BAR ASSOCIATION, UYO, IKOT EKPENE, EKET AND ORON BRANCHES ON FRIDAY, 30TH APRIL, 2021
1. The Nigerian Bar Association (NBA), Uyo, Ikot Ekpene, Eket, and Oron Branches jointly condemn in strong terms the lackadaisical attitude of the Executive of the Akwa Ibom State Government and the Akwa Ibom State House of Assembly towards the ongoing strike by members of the Judiciary Staff Union of Nigeria (JUSUN) calling for the Financial Autonomy of the Judiciary, which has led to the total lockdown of Courts and the collapse of the administration of Justice in the State.
2. It will be recalled that on Monday, the 19th day of April, 2021, the leadership and members of the four Branches of our noble Association in Akwa Ibom State, took to the streets of Uyo, Akwa Ibom State in answer to the clarion call by the National President of the NBA, Mr. Olumide Akpata, that members of the Association across the States of the federation should meet with the Governors of their various States and appeal to them to implement the constitutionally provided Financial Autonomy to the State Judiciary, which is a distinct arm of government.
3. The Attorney General of Akwa Ibom State, Mr. Uko Udom, SAN, intervened and received the protest letter of the Association for onward delivery to the Governor of the State, Mr. Udom Emmanuel, and informed us that the Governor was out of the State for national assignment, but however assured the four Branches of NBA that immediately the Governor returns to the State, he will meet with the Bar and address the ongoing agitation by JUSUN.
4. To the greatest chagrin of the NBA, two clear weeks after the letter was received and obviously handed to the Governor, Mr. Udom Emmanuel, the Akwa Ibom State Government has not only failed, refused and neglected to address this burning issue, but has turned a deaf ear and blind eyes to it.
5. The Courtrooms across the State remain under lock and key, the wheel of Justice has deliberately ground to a halt by the irresponsive and unconstitutional act of both the executive and legislative arms of government in Akwa Ibom State, innocent Akwa Ibom citizens are unlawfully detained in various detention facilities across the State and cannot access justice due to the ongoing strike.
6. Consequent upon the above, and the need to rescue our dear State from total collapse, the leadership and members of the Nigerian Bar Association (NBA), Uyo, Ikot Ekpene, Eket and Oron Branches shall stage a peaceful protest march to the Government House, Wellington Bassey Way, Uyo on Tuesday, the 4th day of May, 2021 by 9.00 a.m. prompt.
7. The need to embark on this peaceful protest again becomes necessary as it will register the NBA’s firm and resolute disposition in pressing home our demand for the State government to rise to the occasion and uphold and implement the Constitution.
8. The Governor of Akwa Ibom State should borrow a leaf from his brother Governors in Nigeria, by coming out to address the Bar and find a lasting solution to this agitation.
9. The Bar calls for the immediate implementation of the Administration of Criminal Justice Law (ACJL) of Akwa Ibom State, which the erstwhile Attorney-General of the State Uwemedimo Nwoko, SAN, informed stakeholders of the Criminal Justice sector of the State at the NBA-MAC ARTHUR organised one-day State Validation Public Forum on the implementation of the Administration of Criminal Justice Act in Akwa Ibom State on 16th January 2018 that Governor Udom Emmanuel had assented to the Administration of Criminal Justice Bill, making it Law, on 21st March, 2017 .
10. Unfortunately, and very pathetically, three years after, suspects are being arraigned and tried under a repealed, and, therefore, non-existing law.
11. Given the worsening state of insecurity in the country, the Association urges the Government of Akwa Ibom State to take proactive steps in checking the spread of criminal activities by renegades and bandits, who have started unleashing violence in some parts of the State, as witnessed in Essien Udim, Ika, and most recently, Ikono Local Government Areas.
1. Elder Aniema Etuk
_Chairman, NBA, Uyo Branch_
2. Gloria Etim, Esq.
_Chairman, NBA, Eket Branch_
3. David Ekpo, Esq.
_Chairman, NBA, Ikot Ekpene Branch_
4. *Tokunbo Otoyo, Esq.*
_Chairman, NBA, Oron Branch_
Call Bridget Edokwe Esq on 08060798767 or send your email to firstname.lastname@example.org
07044444999 or 08181999888. Visit our website: www.alexandernigeria.com/
CLICK HERE TO BUY NIGERIAN CURRENT BEST-SELLER ON LAW AND PRACTICE OF COURT MARTIAL IN NIGERIA